Write That Down
Everything's Funny To Someone.


Monday, February 09, 2004  

Special Kind of Dumb

The parking lot I sometimes patronize if I drive to work is basically just a long stretch of pavement beside an old warehouse, across the street from one of the stadiums. During a Mariner or Seahawk game, I wouldn't be surprised if they charged $30 to $40.

In the off season, however, it's the cheapest piece of pavement around for only three dollars. A co-worker once had his vehicle stolen from this "lot", but I still park there, doubtful that anybody will waste their time trying to liberate the goose.

The pay box is one of those old school metal units with slots for your impossibly folded dollar bill, with a slightly longer, thinner one adjacent to it for coins.

Today, a large Toyota 4-Runner was parked in stall number one, blocking my view of the pay box upon approach.

As I rounded the rear bumper of the Runner, I came upon a kid probably in his mid twenties, holding a gatorade bottle of water and a straw standing in front of the pay box. He didn't notice me as he sucked in water from the bottle and released it into one slots.

Attempting, I'm assuming, to float the dollar bills out.

I just stood there watching this futile attempt for some slow cash. He got two strawfulls worth in the pay box before he noticed me.

"Oh, excuse me," he said, and backed away. I stared at him suspiciously. He walked around me, our eyes locked, neither wanting to be the first to look away. He got a few steps away and said innocently, "What?"

I said nothing, though I wanted to say, "You know, that's not gonna work," but I didn't really want to engage him in conversation. I also didn't want him to see where I was parked. He eventually turned around and started walking down Fourth.

When he was about a block away, I started folding my dollars and shoving them into the slot for stall 24. I laughed at his special kind of dumb, because I was the last car in but he was attempting to float out money from stall 33.

posted by ben | 10:01 AM |
Comments: Post a Comment
for the fun size mind
stuff
nonsense